The health of your gums is an essential part of your oral health. If your gums are not healthy, it can lead to other issues, such as tooth decay, periodontal disease, and even problems with your overall health. So how do you know if your gums are unhealthy? Here’s what you should look out for.
Signs of Unhealthy Gums
The most common sign of unhealthy gums is bleeding when brushing or flossing. This could mean that the gum tissue has become infected or that plaque has built up on the teeth. Other signs include:
- Receding gums: Plaque buildup can cause gum recession and alter the appearance and strength of your gum line. In more severe and advanced cases, the infection can penetrate down into the jawbone and cause teeth to loosen.
- Halitosis: Chronic bad breath that lingers even when practicing good oral hygiene is an indicator of gum infection.
- Overall Health Deterioration: Advanced periodontal (gum) disease can worsen certain conditions when the infection reaches the bloodstream and spreads outward into your body. Deteriorating gum health has been correlated with worsening health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
Improving Your Gum Health
If you notice any of the above signs, it’s important to take action right away.
Get a Diagnosis
Visit your dentist so they can examine your mouth and determine what is causing the problem. Depending on their findings, they may suggest different treatments, such as deep cleaning or scaling, to remove any buildup on the teeth and prevent further damage to the gum tissue. In some cases, antibiotics may also be prescribed if an infection is present.
Once treatment begins, follow all instructions carefully and attend all follow-up appointments so your dentist can monitor your progress over time.
Implement Healthy Habits
Good at-home dental care habits are essential for maintaining healthy gums and preventing future infections or damage from occurring:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time using fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Use mouthwash to get to those hard-to-reach places.
- Avoid sugary and starchy foods that are prone to sticking to teeth.
- Eat plenty of calcium-rich foods like cheese and yogurt to help keep your teeth strong and healthy.
Aesthetic Family Dentistry: Here For Your Dental Needs
Maintaining healthy gums is key to having a healthy smile! If you notice any signs of unhealthy gums, visit your dentist at Aesthetic Family Dentistry right away so they can diagnose any potential issues before they become bigger problems down the line. However, ensuring you practice good at-home dental hygiene habits every day will help keep your gums in top shape!
Contact our team online or call us at (845) 209-2500 today to get on your path to a beautiful smile!