Periodontics in Port Jervis
Treating Oral Gum Infections
It seems like we tend to forget that oral health involves more than just our teeth, but also the gums. Our periodontist, Dr. Alejandro Castano, is a leading specialists in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases affecting the gums and jawbone, in addition to experts in dental implantology. Whether you need a rehabilitative or cosmetic procedure for your gums, you can ensure that our exceptionally trained dental team can assist you in improving your smile.
What Is Periodontal/Gum Disease?
A lack of getting routine dental cleanings along with subpar oral hygiene can result in the earliest stage of periodontal (gum) disease, called gingivitis.
Contributing factors to this mildest form of periodontal disease include:
- Bad hygiene habits
- Genetic predisposition
- Substance abuse
- Certain medications
Untreated gingivitis can develop into periodontitis, leaving drastic consequences on your gums. The toxins released by the plaque start to break down gum tissue causing the gum line to recede and create infected pockets. The longer the disease progresses, the deeper the pockets form, and ultimately the more your tissue and bone structure are destroyed.
Common Signs & Symptoms of Periodontal Disease
Our highly trained periodontal team at Aesthetic Family Dentistry has the extensive knowledge and skills necessary to treat all kinds of gum disease, whether it is mild, moderate, or severe.
Warning signs that may warrant a trip to our periodontist include:
- Bleeding gums – Your gums should not be so sensitive that they bleeding while brushing, flossing, or even eating. This can be an indicator of having gingivitis.
- Receding gums – Plaque buildup can cause gum recession and alter the appearance and strength of your gumline. With more severe and advanced cases, the infection can penetrate down into the jawbone and cause teeth to loosen.
- Halitosis- Chronic bad breath that lingers even when practicing good oral hygiene is an indicator of gum infection.
- Overall Health Deterioration – Advanced periodontal disease can worsen certain conditions when the infection reaches the bloodstream and spreads outward into your body. Deteriorating gum health has been correlated with worsening conditions of health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
Using Dental Implants for Treatment
Periodontal disease can have serious, lasting effects on your bite, speech, and even your eating habits. It can also increase the risk of your remaining teeth prematurely wearing out, becoming damaged, or being lost.
Dental implants offer a safe and effective way to counteract the negative effects of missing teeth due to gum disease.
This procedure comes highly recommended thanks to the many benefits it offers, including:
- Prevents bone loss
- Adds durability & stability
- Regaining function in the mouth to chew and speak
- Natural-looking results
Centrally located in Port Jervis, NY and easily accessible from Orange County, NY, Pike County, PA and Sussex County, NJ.
Most Insurances Accepted
We work closely with many insurance companies to ensure your dental health. Give us a call today to find out how we can work with your insurance company.
Don’t have insurance? Don’t worry, we have Membership Plans to help you afford to keep up with your dental health. Ask us about it today.
We are constantly updating our dental practices and equipment. Stop by and check out our latest upgrades, from our newly renovated office to our state-of-the-art sterilization center.
Creating Beautiful, Healthy Smiles
Gentle, thorough examinations done by our award-winning team. Whatever your dental needs are - general or cosmetic - we make sure you get the best care possible.
Early morning, lunchtime, or late afternoon - whatever suits your schedule, we can accommodate. We know how important your time is, so we promise you little or no wait in our office.